Wednesday, March 5, 2008

It's okay, I really don't mind...

So the other day when I was on call I responded to a page from a nurse. I could tell from her voice that she was probably a couple of years older than me. She presented her patient and asked me her question. It was something easy like the patient needed pain medication, or something to help him sleep. I gave a telephone order for the medicine. She asked my name again and wrote it down. "Great, thank you Ms.Ross ... ur..um" "No problem" I responded and ended the conversation. I suppose if I were mean I could have gotten upset, but for a phone conversation (ie. not in front of a patient), it's not a big deal to me.

Now on the other hand, here is a setting where, for some reason, I DO mind! I received some mail from my alma mater soliciting contributions, and it was addressed to Ms.Ross!! Hello!?! I attended your institution to earn a degree, remember? and I graduated from YOUR medical school so now I'm Dr.Ross. Needless to say I will not be participating in the latest fundraising spectacular.

No comments: