Wednesday, December 16, 2009

my night stand

I have begun to notice a trend. At the start of any new rotation I'm usually ready and anxious to learn all I could possibly need to know about that speciality. It often starts with checking out a book from the library or finding a book I already own and making plans to read it during the month. Inevitably the book never or rarely gets cracked open.

I'm starting to compile a collection of books on my nightstand from my latest rotations. I've got a really short book on primary care ENT which I've left on my nightstand because surely I'll make time to read it sometime! There are some packets of practice board questions under that. The latest is an EKG book, which I have actually read about 20 pages of this month! (it must be a record! I'll not be discouraged that this particular book has tons of pictures and very large print!). The derm, acute care medicine, and gyn books have already made it back to my bookshelf or to the library.

And my nightstand only one of several places in my home where medical knowledge and study material is available! Doctor magazines are scattered about in the bathroom and on the coffee table just waiting for me. When I sit down at the computer my homepage offers me dozens of important articles, not to mention my e-mail which is filled with links to case studies.

I keep telling myself that if I don't develop some good study habits now I'm going to be a "bad doctor". But I seam to be making it along okay without the vigorous study that I have the good intentions of doing. There is always room for improvement and always things to learn or review, so I'll keep those books and articles on my nightstand and just keep trying.

No comments: