Saturday, September 13, 2008

Never a Dull Moment!

So one day I was working at a walk-in clinic on a Friday afternoon and I had the following patient encounter:

Nurse: What are you here for today?
Patient: My back hurts.
Nurse: Where does your back hurt?
Patient: I dunno, up here (touching upper back) and down here (touching lower back)
Patient: Do you think the doctor will give me some pain medicine? Because if I can't get any pain medicine I don't know what I'm doing here, I should just leave.
Nurse: I really don't know what kind of medicine the doctor might give you, how long has your pain been there?
Patient: Well about 2 weeks, but this pain in my low back has been there for like 2 years!
****
Nurse (to doctor): Just to let you know the patient in room 5 is asking for pain medicines.
Doctor: Well, I'm not going to give narcotics, but I'll talk to them and check it out.
****
Doctor: Nice to meet you, what brings you to the clinic today?
Patient: I need some more treatment for my herpes.

4 comments:

Elder and Sister Dunn said...

That's pretty funny. Somehow it doesn't surprise me.

Mary said...

Great story - I needed a laugh.

Cassie said...

Hey girl, I'm glad you posted on the blog. I miss reading your adventures. This last one was pretty funny to me. Some people are so goofy. I hope we get to see you guys soon. Cross our fingers. Hey by the way, could you and some of your medical friends check out a blog for me. If you go to my blog, then click on John & Nicole under friends and family I have a friend who is asking for help to find a diagnosis for her brother who has rare problem/problems. Maybe you guys will hear of something related.

Dragonfly said...

Haha. Mind you...I know someone who needed narcotic analgesia after attempting to self treat for herpes (she told her mother she had another, not sexually transmitted skin infection).